Pages

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 11 ~ Someone who was once in your life but isn't anymore


"Minsan sa may Kalayaan tayo'y nagkatagpuan..." (Eraserheads)


to the guy with the glasses i'll always remember...

I met you once upon a class back in freshman year of college. That class has always been one of my favorites. Not because the teacher was great or because of the lively class discussion, it was because you were there. I can still recall that very first day of class... We were grouped together and you asked me to write down the names of our group mates. That was half a decade ago and I can still remember the glint of the silver glasses you were wearing. I was happy when I found out that you were in my dorm too when I saw you, you and your shiny glasses, at the Acquaintance Party. But I couldn’t remember your name then. So in my mind, I just called you Mr. Dexter. Why? Well, I knew your last name starts with a D, so Dexter, as in Dexter's Lab. 'Cause of your glasses and well, because you were just the cutest nerd I've ever seen. And that's how it started.

Every Monday and Thursday, I would carefully pick out what I'd wear to class and made sure that my hair smelled especially nice 'cause I know you'll be sitting behind me for one and a half hour. And as I'd leave the dorm around 8, I’d wish and hope that I'd catch you on your way too and that maybe we'll walk to class together. It was like that for me that first semester. Boy, I'd fallen hard.

As I got to know you; how smart you are and incredibly eloquent; how you can play almost every instrument that can make a sound; and you're such a gentleman, and you have this sweet smile that lighten up your serious face, I just fell deeper. You were just so amazing, brilliant and talented, and ideal in so many ways. I was kind of in awe and half in love with you.

I was never excited to do a project than I was with ours. All those meetings for planning, research at the library, excursions to shoot our videos, I loved every moment! Wished it wouldn’t have to end. But of course, it did end. We finished our project (it was brilliant, of course), finals came, our class dismissed for the last time and then the semester was over. Mondays and Thursdays were never the same.

I still saw you around though. After all we were kind of living under one roof. So I’d look for you at the Mess Hall at meal times... on laundry days I'll hope to catch you as I wait for my laundry lady... and during dorm events, I'd watch out for the twinkle of your glasses every time. I live for the moments like whenever we pass each other on the lobby or when we meet at the lounge area. You'd wave or smile, I'd smile back and then I'll be gushing about it to my roommate and floormates all night. It was worse on the special occasions when there's a dance. Everyone will be there at our tiny Multi-Purpose Hall and I'd hope and wait that you'll ask me to dance. But you never did. It's really sad that I never got to. Dance with you, I mean. Even at the last dance at the end of our stay at that dorm. It broke my heart a little. You were there, though, as I was packing up all my stuff into a taxi, on my way home, leaving our dorm for the last time. You waved goodbye on the steps as I drove away. That was five years ago and, again, I remember how the sun glinted off your glasses.

I still saw you after that, around campus, sometimes. You'd still smile at me whenever we'd meet. I’d wave and smile, and in my mind think back on the silliest crush I've ever had. Since then our paths, expectedly, went separate  ways. You lived your life and I lived mine. I don’t know where you are now. I haven’t seen you since I left our university, or heard about you from any of our friends for a long time. I  wonder where you are as I'm writing this letter… what you're doing now… if you still wear those shiny silver glasses. And I wonder if you still remember me. I hope so. I'd like to think that if you hear my name, or see me somewhere, on the internet maybe, you'd recall that I was the girl with the black glasses whose hair smelled nice. I really hope so. Well, I guess I'll never know for sure. Me, I think I'll always remember you. Even now, tall, serious looking guys wearing glasses still remind me of you. And of course every time I see Dexter's Lab. 'Cause you'll always be Mr. Dexter to me.

~the girl with the glasses who'll never forget.


No comments:

Post a Comment